The Stuart Collection Records contains the materials documenting art pieces held in the Stuart Collection as well as proposals
for projects that were not built.
The Stuart Collection was created in 1981 through a partnership between the University of California, San Diego and the Stuart
Foundation with a gift from businessman and philanthropist James Stuart deSilva (1919-2002). DeSilva's goal was to establish
a collection of public art in a setting where people who might not otherwise seek it and could encounter it as a part of their
everyday lives. In addition to its original $1.5 million endowment, the collection has received financial support from organizations
such as the National Endowment for the Arts, the Russell Foundation, the Lannan Foundation, and the California Arts Council.
Since 1998, the Friends of the Stuart Collection International Advisory Committee has also provided an important network of
support both for new projects and the long-term care of built works. Founding director, Mary Beebe, has overseen the collection
and its growth since 1981.
9.95 Linear feet
(8 records cartons, 1 archives box, 2 flat boxes, 21 map case folders, and 18 art bin items)
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
Original media recording formats are restricted. Viewing/listening copies are available for researchers.