Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos
PHO 905.3  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos
    Dates: ca. 1926-1940
    Collection Number: PHO 905.3
    Extent: 2 albums : 36 prints each; 5 unattached prints, 25 x 32 cm.
    Repository: Monterey Public Library
    Monterey, California 93940
    Abstract: William O. Raiguel was born in Freehold, New Jersey in 1875. He studied design in California after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906 and became a partner in the architectural firm of John Galen Howard, which was responsible for several new buildings on the University of California, Berkeley campus in the aftermath of the earthquake, including Boalt Hall and Wheeler Auditorium. After service in World War I, Raiguel returned to San Francisco, working for Gladding McBean & Co. Clay products, and then moved to the Monterey Peninsula in 1926, where he took the position of supervising architect for the Del Monte Properties Co., as well as working independently. Among his local buildings are: the Monterey Chamber of Commerce on Munras Ave., the Monterey Post Office, the Mission Memorial Mausoleum, and the Clubhouse of the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course.
    Language of Material: English


    Access by appointment only; contact Local History Librarian or designated staff.

    Publication Rights

    Reproduction by Local History Librarian or other designated staff; may be restricted due to condition of the materials.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item]. Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos. Collection Number: PHO 905.3. Monterey Public Library

    Acquisition Information

    Bequest of the estate of William O. Raiguel.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Consists of two albums (the 2nd is a duplicate copy) of 36 photographic prints, and five loose prints. The album images are composed of exterior and interior (in some buildings) views of 11 houses, 2 schools, 2 Pebble Beach gate houses, the Beach Club at Pebble Beach, a garage at Hotel Del Monte, a guest cottage at the Monterey Peninsula Country Club, "San Clements Dude Ranch" guest house, a "hut" at Indian Village (Del Monte Forest), and buildings for the Del Monte Riding Club and the Monterey Chamber of Commerce-all designed by W. O. Raiguel, Architect, from the mid 1920s through the 1930s. The five loose prints show an addition to Colton Hall in Monterey (2 views), the front and rear views of the Girl Scout House at Lake El Estero, Monterey, and of an unidentified single story building. Arranged chronologically.

    Indexing Terms

    Architectural Design
    William O. Raiguel
    Samuel F. B. Morse
    Monterey Chamber of Commerce
    Del Monte Properties
    Hotel Del Monte
    Monterey Peninsula
    Photograph Albums
    Black-and-White Photograph