Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Emporium Company Records
SFH 555  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (59.08 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Emporium was a San Francisco department store that operated from 1872-1995. Originally opened as the "Davis Brothers Golden Rule Bazaar" in 1872 it was renamed the Emporium in 1896 when it merged with its namesake. The company was eventually acquired by Federated Department Stores in 1995.
Background
The Emporium was a San Francisco department store that operated from 1872-1995. Originally opened as the "Davis Brothers Golden Rule Bazaar" in 1872 it was renamed the Emporium in 1896 when it merged with its namesake. The store survived the 1906 earthquake after loosing its inventory in the fire but the shell of the building survived. By 1908 new construction was complete and the retailer reopened on Market Street in its flagship store. The company purchased the H.C. Capwell Company of Oakland in 1927 taking the name Emporium Capwell Company and began expanding to several bay area cities. By 1980 Emporium dropped the name Capwell from its company name and was eventually acquired by Federated Department Stores in 1995. In 2006 the former flagship store on Market Street reopened as the Westfield San Francisco Center.
Extent
2 cartons, 1 flat box, 1 pamphlet box, 3 scrapbooks/wrapped news clips (5.25 Cubic Feet)
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
Availability
The collection is available for use during San Francisco Histoy Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.