Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Abstract of title and certificate of search as to … portion of 50 Vara lot No. 3 of Block 212, Western Addition
SFH 316  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Abstract of title and certificate of search as to … portion of 50 Vara lot No. 3 of Block 212, Western Addition
    Dates: 1884
    Collection Number: SFH 316
    Creator/Collector: Simpson & Millar (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Extent: 1 volume
    Repository: San Francisco Public Library. San Francisco History Center
    San Francisco, California 94102
    Abstract: Title abstract for a property on the northeast corner of Laguna and Haight Streets, San Francisco
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    The collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.

    Preferred Citation

    Abstract of title and certificate of search as to … portion of 50 Vara lot No. 3 of Block 212, Western Addition . San Francisco Public Library. San Francisco History Center

    Acquisition Information

    Gift.

    Biography/Administrative History

    Simpson & Millar were successors to C. V. Gillespie, San Francisco’s pioneer searcher of records. Thomas Hayes owned much land in the Western Addition, and Hayes Valley is named for him. New Hampshire native John P. Hill was a San Francisco merchant and former bookseller. Fernando Marchena came to San Francisco in 1842, and since 1844 had claimed title to one square league of land in San Francisco, supposedly a grant from Governor Micheltorena. After selling off portions, including those deeded to John K. Moore, Marchena was dispossessed of the land, but sued to have title re-established; his case languished, and was not pursued after his death. John K. Moore came to California from New York state in 1850 and worked as a carpenter until 1891, but for years was engaged in legal battles concerning the immense property he had purchased from Marchena. Frederick H. Lefavor was master of the U.S. SS McArthur. The property was deeded from Lefavor to Farrell McMorry in June 1884. It later became the site of the McMorry-Lagan House, a San Francisco city landmark.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Volume begins with a description of lands and a map, followed by an index; handwritten abstract comprises 247 numbered pages. Volume includes the Haye [Hayes] Title, pages 7-46; the Hill Title, pages 47-236, with map Seventh St. south of McAllister Str. on p. 82, and a Continuation, pages 237-247, followed by one unnumbered page titled Revised, followed then by one page titled Taxes (for 1884.) The earliest document in the abstract is the deed dated May 10, 1850, of 640 acres, from Fernando Marchena to John K. Moore, page 19, and the latest is a record of Taxes owed by Lizzie C. Lefavor and Frederick H. Lefavor, dated November 5, 1884, on the last page of the volume.

    Indexing Terms

    Real property--California--San Francisco
    Land titles--California--San Francisco
    Abstracts of title--California--San Francisco--19th century
    Land tenure--California--San Francisco
    Land grants--California--San Francisco
    Hayes, Thomas, d. 1868
    Hill, John P., d. 1855
    Lefavor, Frederick H., d. 1918
    McMorry, Farrell, d. 1891
    Marchena, Fernando, d. 1897
    Moore, John K., d. 1900
    Hayes Valley (San Francisco, Calif.)
    San Francisco (Calif.--History--19th century
    San Francisco (Calif.)--History--Sources