The Urrutia de Vergara Papers are a collection of Spanish colonial manuscripts that document the land holdings of the Urrutia de Vergara family in the
eastern part of the Texcoco region of Mexico. The collection dates from the mid-sixteenth century to the mid-eighteenth century
and includes land deeds, rent and tribute payments, and maps of the property. Several of these documents pre-date the family’s
holdings and were probably passed on to the family when it acquired the land.
Don Antonio Urrutia de Vergara (1598-1667) was a Spaniard of Basque descent and one of New Spain's most prominent merchants.
In 1664, he acquired a mayorazgo (an entailed estate) in the San Miguel Tlaixpan region of Mexico. This plot of land served as the foundation for the family’s expansive landholdings.
Nahuas (indigenous Nahuatl speakers) owned parcels of land that later formed portions of the Urrutia de Vergara family's estate.
These materials are in the public domain. However, the nature of historical archival and manuscript collections means that
copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained
in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections,
San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections
as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must
also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and
private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement
of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.