The Birch Aquarium records document the public aquariums maintained by the Scripps Institution of Oceanography since its founding,
including: administrative files, correspondence, materials related to education programs and outreach, expeditions and collecting
trips, exhibit planning, and photographs.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography has maintained a public aquarium since before it was an institution. Starting in 1892,
William Ritter began to keep display tanks for visitors at the summer research stations. The Marine Biological Association
of San Diego was founded in 1903. From its founding, one of the objectives of the association was to build and maintain a
public aquarium and museum. This association would later become the Scripps Institution for Biological Research once it was
accepted as part of the University of California in 1912; and by 1925 it was renamed to Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
The aquarium grew along with the institution, expanding to various buildings as needs changed.
17.65 Linear feet
(42 archives boxes, 1 card file box, and 3 map case folders)
Publication rights are held by UC Regents.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.