This collection contains photographs and panoramic photographs of the Pasadena Buddhist Temple and members of the church's
congregation. Also included are photographs at different Buddhist churches, conferences, and anniversary events around California.
All of the items in this collection have been digitized and some are available online.
Early in the 20th century, the Nishi Hongwanji Los Angeles Betsuin served the Jodo Shinshu Buddhists of Pasadena. Due to the
unjust incarceration of Japanese Americans in during World War II, there were no provisions in place to prevent discrimination
in housing after the war. Pasadena was one of the few communities where property owners were willing to rent or sale to Japanese
In the fall of 1948, early in the temple's history, Mr. and Mrs. Yukio Nishimoto made their home available for services and
Dharma school instruction. Next, temple functions moved to 1106 Lincoln Avenue where Rev. Daitetsu Hayashima led spiritual
guidance. In 1958, the current property at 1993 Glen Ave was purchased and temple construction began. In the same year, the
current temple was dedicated and the Bishop of Buddhist Churches of America (BCA) assigned the first full time minister, Rev.
The Buddhist Women's Association has been a back bone of the temple since its inception and continues today. Buddhist Women's
Association and Young Buddhist League (YBL) celebrations are highlighted in this collection along with other significant moments
in the Pasadena Buddhist Temple's history.
49 jpeg files, 1 pdf
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.