Contains souvenir programs, photographs, and VHS videotapes of football games; plus sports uniforms, photographs of Hall of
Fame honorees, and some school commencement programs.
Polytechnic High School, known as Poly, was a San Francisco football powerhouse, winning championships almost every year in
the 1940s and early '50s, and going undefeated from 1949 to 1954. The Poly-Lowell “Turkey Bowl,” played on Thanksgiving Day,
was a city tradition—SF’s “Big Game” between high schools. Kezar Stadium's seating capacity was 50,000; the 1928 game was
over capacity. The Turkey Bowl gave way to the city championship (in 1943). The school was closed in 1972 due to earthquake
4 boxes, 3 oversized folders, 1 framed art piece
(6.0 cubic feet)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk