This album shows the construction of the Mountain Quarry Railroad from Flint [Auburn], California connection with the Southern
Pacific and the rock quarry and mine 7 miles.
Work on the railroad and limestone mine began in 1910 and it went into operation on March 23, 1912. The Mountain Quarries
Company spent a reported $1 million dollars on constructing the mine, putting up the crushing plant and the railroad line.
The MQRR was seven miles long and ran from the quarry crushing plant in El Dorado County on the Middle Fork American River
to Flint Station on the Southern Pacific main line in Auburn. There were 17 wooden trestles and one large concrete bridge
on the main line. The Mountain Quarries operated until July 1941.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the CSRM Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM
as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.
This collection is open for research