Therese Whitcomb was the first and only graduate of the San Diego College for Women in 1953 when she received her Bachelor
of Arts. She then attended the Art Students League in New York City, and received a Master of Arts from San Diego State University.
Upon completion of her MA, Whitcomb became a full-time faculty member at the University of San Diego in 1969 where she taught
for 35 years. Whitcomb chaired the Department of Art, established the Founders Gallery, and was the first Director of Institutional
Design. In that role, Whitcomb was tasked with preserving the consistency of Spanish Renaissance architecture on campus and
ensuring the beautification of building interiors. Whitcomb received the Davies Award for Faculty Achievement in 1985, and
was awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters in 2015. As of 2017, she was a Professor Emerita of Art.