The Westland School is a private
elementary school founded in 1949 by Lory Titelman, and Marie H. Briehl. The guiding
philosophy of the School is based on the concepts of John Dewey and Progressive education, a
pedagogical movement that began in the late nineteenth century. The
Westland School Collection broadly documents a re-emergence of the progressive
education movement, focusing on its development between 1949 and 2014 in Los Angeles,
California. The collection consists of documents, photographs, publications, scrapbooks, and
video recordings that focus on the history and daily life of administrators, staff, and
The Westland School is a private elementary school founded in 1949 by progressive education
advocate, Lory Titelman, and Marie H. Briehl, pioneering specialist in the psychological
development of the child. The Westland School opened in October, 1949, in a B'nai B'rith
building on the corner of La Cienega and Olympic Boulevards in Los Angeles. Over the next
sixteen years the school moved several times, finally settling on its current and permanent
location in Bel-Air in 1965. Since its inception, the School has been owned by a non-profit
corporation whose voting members are administrators, parents, and teachers.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright
status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected
by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the
written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.
This collection is open for research use unless otherwise noted.