Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Berlin Fellowship Collection
CFT00180  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.39 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Additional collection guides

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Berlin Fellowship Collection
    Dates: 1952-2015
    Collection Number: CFT00180
    Creator/Collector: Berlin Fellowship
    Extent: 10 Boxes, 3.88 linear feet
    Repository: Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives
    Pasadena, California 91182
    Abstract: The Berlin Fellowship Collection, 1952-2015 consists of physical and digital materials received from the Berlin Fellowship U.S.A. and Berlin Fellowship, Germany. The records document the activities of an informal group of Presbyterian laypeople and pastors who maintained an ecumenical visitation ministry with Christians in the German Democratic Republic, 1961-1996. Formats include subject files, correspondence, photographs, reports, minutes, financial records, clippings, scrapbooks, publications, audio cassettes, and digital files. Materials were created from 1952-1996.
    Language of Material: deu

    Access

    Supervised use only.

    Publication Rights

    Scholarly use of United States documents within parameters of United States copyright law. Digital copies of German archive are subject to Federal Republic of Germany ‘protection of information’ regulations.

    Preferred Citation

    Berlin Fellowship Collection. Fuller Theological Seminary-David Allan Hubbard Library Archives

    Acquisition Information

    Gift, c. May 15, 2015, from Mrs. Ursula Unterumsberger from Berlin, Germany. Frau Bärbel Eccardt, from whom these files originated, was a church worker at the Zinzendorf Parish, the West Berlin home of Berlin Fellowship. Hard drive of digital files. Transfer, 2014, from the Presbyterian Historical Society (originally deposited by Bradley Baur and Reverend Jane Holslag). Papers including the California-based Berlin Fellowship meeting minutes and team reports from the 1970s-1996.

    Biography/Administrative History

    The “Berlin Fellowship” program ran from as early as 1961 until 1996 within the German Democratic Republic (GDR). The program had its roots in an American Christian ministry of reconciliation in the years immediately after the Second World War (World Deputation, 1st Presbyterian Church of Hollywood). The ministry initially focused on work in German youth and reconstruction camps. During the early years of the Cold War and in the 50’s, during the so-called “Kirchenkampf” (church-state struggle in the GDR), contact between American and German Christians continued. Reciprocal visits ensued and retreats for church workers, including those from the GDR, were held in West Berlin.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The Berlin Fellowship Collection, 1952-2015 consists of physical and digital materials received from the Berlin Fellowship U.S.A. and Berlin Fellowship, Germany. The records document the activities of an informal group of Presbyterian laypeople and pastors who maintained an ecumenical visitation ministry with Christians in the German Democratic Republic, 1961-1996. Formats include subject files, correspondence, photographs, reports, minutes, financial records, clippings, scrapbooks, publications, audio cassettes, and digital files. Materials were created from 1952-1996.

    Indexing Terms

    Cold War -- Religious aspects
    Ecumenical movement
    Missions
    Presbyterian Church--history
    Berlin Fellowship
    German Democratic Republic (GDR)
    Hollywood Presbyterian Church (Hollywood, Calif)
    Berlin (Germany) -- Religion -- 20th century

    Additional collection guides