Includes assessor's notes, deed information, maps, and taxes levied.
The Redondo Railway was incorporated in April 1889. Its principal backers, J. C. Ainsworth, George Ainsworth, and R. R. Thompson,
had been involved in lumber and shipping enterprises in the Pacific Northwest and saw the line as a connection between a deep
water anchorage at Redondo and Los Angeles. Built as a 3' 6" gauge steam road, the Redondo Railway began service between
Los Angeles and Redondo via Gardena in the spring of 1892. In 1896 the name was changed to the Los Angeles and Redondo.
The line was electrified in 1902, and three years later Henry E. Huntington purchased it. The company was divided in 1910
with the narrow gauge Los Angeles Railway taking the city trackage, and the Pacific Electric, and through it the Southern
Pacific, assuming control of the interurban lines. The Pacific Electric converted the Los Angeles and Redondo tracks to standard
gauge in 1911.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the CSRM Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM
as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.
This collection is open for research at our off-site storage facility with one week's notice. Contact Library & Archives staff
to arrange for access.