The Canoga Park Women's Club works "to
promote interest in intellectual pursuits; to become a center for broader social life and to
work unitedly for the general advancement of both club and community." The collection
consists of notebooks and scrapbooks which contain photographs, invitations, correspondence,
newsletters and ephemera related to the organization's history and activities.
The first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club was held on October 30, 1914 at the home
of Mrs. Fred Balster. Officers were elected and a committee was established to draw up the
new organization's Constitution and By-Laws. In 1915, the Owensmouth Women's Club became the
youngest organization to be admitted to the California Federation of Women's Clubs and later
became incorporated in 1916. The 1916 Constitution and By-laws of the Owensmouth Women's
Club states, "The purpose of this club is to promote interest in intellectual pursuits; to
become a center for broader social life and to work unitedly for the general advancement of
both club and community." When the town of Owensmouth adopted "Canoga Park" as its new name,
the club followed suit, and became the Canoga Park Women's Club.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires
the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.