These records document the activities of the Ebell Club of Highland Park from its founding in 1903 to the present. Included
are constitution(s) and by-laws, meeting minutes, event programs, yearbooks, club histories, financial records, scrapbooks,
rental agreements, material from affiliated confederations of women’s clubs, photographs, and other records documenting the
club’s social and community service functions.
The Ebell Club of Highland Park was founded in December of 1903 at the Highland Park home of Ella G. Lunt, a co-founder in
1896 of the Ebell Club of Long Beach. Women’s clubs that adopted the name “Ebell” were modeled on a prototype established
in Oakland, California (1876) following a visit by Dr. Adrian Ebell, a scholar whose plan to improve women’s education and
active role in society involved organizing “circles or chapters for the study of arts and science.” The Ebell Club of Highland
Park (HP) reflected this serious orientation in its stated object, “advancement in all lines of general culture, and promotion
of the well-being of the community in which we live.”
15.0 Linear feet
(2) 15 x 19 flat boxes
(1) 11.5 X 13.5 flat box
(1) 5 x 30 x 5 rolled material box
1 rolled material box - 5 x30x5
2 oversize folders
All requests for permission to publish or quote from holdings must be submitted in writing to the Ebell Club of Highland Park.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Ebell Club as the owners of the physical items and is not intended to include
or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must be obtained.
The collection is open for research.