Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Albion Lumber Company Financial Records
MS 741  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.88 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
These financial records document the financial relationship between Southern Pacific Company and the Albion Lumber Company.
Background
The Albion Lumber Company was incorporated on May 26, 1891 by Miles Standish, Henry B. Hickey, George C. Wilcox, F.W. Crosby and W.E. Reed, who became president. The company operated in Albion, California. It purchased the equipment and lines of the Albion River Railroad. The Albion Lumber Company line was 11 miles in length, extending from a log dump at Tidewater Gulch to Keene’s Summit along the Albion River. In April 1902, Robert H. Swayne purchased the Albion River Railroad from the Albion Lumber Company and renamed it the Albion & Southeastern Railroad. Albion Lumber reached an agreement with A&SE to extend its tracks from Keene’s summit to the Albion Lumber Company. In 1906, a large increase in demand for the company’s lumber meant that three additional locomotives needed to be added to transport the additional lumber. By 1910 Albion Lumber had four miles of logging railroad up the North Fork of the Albion River from Clearbrook to Camp 10 and two miles from Camp 5 to Marsh Creek. They had four locomotives, 56 four-wheel log trucks, four flat cars and logging equipment consisting fo rfour steam skidders and five yarders. There were 200 men employed in the woods and 150 men in the mill, shops, yard, pond and wharf at Albion. In 1920, they purchased the land and timber rights along the NWP line and the Navarro Lumber Company. In 1921 they leased the NWP’s Albion Branch of 25.65 miles between Albion and Christine for ten years. This railroad became known as the Albion Railroad. The lumber went to supply Southern Pacific Company with the timber to construct its branch into Mexico. When it was completed in 1928, both of the Albion Lumber Company mills were shut down. The NWP’s Albion Branch reverted back to NWP. In 1930, the Albion Lumber Company property was transferred to the Southern Pacific Company.
Extent
52 oversize volumes
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research by appointment. Please give staff one week's advance notice.