Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Ventura High School collection
MVC059  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.51 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Ventura High School is a public secondary school that was established in 1889. It is the oldest high school in Ventura. The school was originally established as a grammar school for Grades 1-8 and was located across from Park Plaza on the same site as the Post Office. The school was moved to Ann Street in 1897, Thompson Boulevard in 1911, and finally Catalina and Main Streets in 1930. The school adopted the Cougar mascot in the 1960s and the black and orange school colors, representing the two major industries in the area, petroleum and citrus farming. The school operated a senior high school for several years before splitting off from Ventura College and becoming a high school serving Grades 9-12 in 1982. The collection includes a variety of materials related to student life and extracurricular activities between the 1930s and the late 1970s, including the school's football team, the Girls' League, and the Interact Club. Materials include correspondence, awards, scrapbooks, yearbooks, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
Background
Ventura High School is a public secondary school that was established in 1889. It is the oldest high school in Ventura. Eugene Preston Foster served as the first school board president. The school was originally established as a grammar school for Grades 1-8 and was located across from Park Plaza on the same site as the Post Office. The school was moved to Ann Street in 1897, Thompson Boulevard in 1911, and finally Catalina and Main Streets in 1930. The original building was red brick and was rebuilt in 1958 in order to ensure it could withstand earthquakes. The school adopted the Cougar mascot in the 1960s and the color black and orange, representing the two major industries in the area, petroleum and citrus farming. The school operated a senior high school for many years before becoming a high school serving Grades 9-12 in 1982.
Extent
3.84 Cubic Feet (1 half-size box, 2 cartons, and 2 flat boxes, 1 ledger)
Restrictions
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Museum of Ventura County. Literary rights, including copyright, have not been determined. Contact the Research Library for further information: library@venturamuseum.org
Availability
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Open for research. Collection is minimally processed and may contain restricted materials. All requests to access materials must be made in advance by contacting the Research Library staff via email: library@venturamuseum.org