Collection is comprised of correspondence, photographs, conceptual drawings, maps, ephemera, and published and unpublished
reports, dating from 1965 to 1968, that accompanied the planning for, and creation of, Sacramento's California Exposition
and Fair. More popularly known as Cal Expo, since 1968, it has been the primary venue for the California State Fair.
The California Exposition and Fair (Cal Expo) opened in 1968 in Sacramento, California, at 1600 Exposition Boulevard. The
California State Legislature purchased the 1063-acre site in 1948 and authorized funds for development of Cal Expo in 1957,
making way for a gradual migration of the California State Fair from its previous location at Broadway and Stockton Boulevard.
Starting in 1961, private firms were invited to submit bids for the developing the site, intended to be a year-round operation.
By 1964, the California Exposition and Fair Corporation was chartered as Cal Expo's controlling and managing body. In May
1967 California Governor Ronald Reagan dedicated the site. With the official opening in June 1968, Cal Expo boasted five major
activity areas: Exposition Center, Fair Activities Complex, Recreation Park, Industrial Exhibits Area, and Horse Racing Facilities.
.5 Linear Feet
One archival box
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Sacramento Public Library must be submitted in writing
to email@example.com. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Sacramento Public Library as the owner of
the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained
by the patron. No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.