The University of California, Davis Department of
Art and Art History Colletion dates from 1943 to 2017. The collection consists of promotional materials for department
events, correspondence and reports related to the history of the department, and three films.
The UC Davis Department of Art and Art History had its beginnings in 1952 with the newly-formed College of Letters and
Science. In 1953, Dean Herbert Young gave Richard L. Nelson the directive to start a department of art. Over the next few
years, Nelson recruited faculty and developed curriculum, and the Department of Art was formally inaugurated in 1958. Art
History, which had been a part of the department since its beginnings, became an autonomous program in 1990.
All applicable copyrights for the collection are protected under chapter 17 of the U.S. Copyright Code. Requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Regents of the University of California as the owner of the physical items. It is
not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Collection is open for research.