The Edgar R. Levin Collection, circa 1934-1965 (bulk 1939-1959), chronicles the adult life of Edgar Ross Levin, a teacher,
lecturer and later supervisor in Santa Clara County who worked as Father Bernard R. Hubbard’s assistant on his journeys to
Alaska. The collection consists of materials detailing Levin's Alaskan adventures, his methods of teaching, and the topics
he discussed during his lectures. The collection also supplies further information about Father Hubbard from his assistant’s
point-of-view. The bulk of the collection consists of notes and other forms of writing by Levin, along with correspondence
received by Levin. Other materials include school worksheets, newspaper clippings, diaries, and his work on a territory orientation
for Alaskan areas to assist those who wanted to utilize the land but were not familiar with its terrain. This collection is
arranged into one series: Series I. Personal Papers of Edgar R. Levin, circa 1934-1965 (bulk 1939-1959).
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J.
The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
1.69 linear feet
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
The collection is open for research.