Photographs of the California Botanic
Garden, which operated 1928-1935 in Mandeville Canyon, Santa Monica Mountains, Los Angeles
The California Botanic Garden was an 800-acre botanical garden and plant laboratory
established in 1928 in the Mandeville Canyon area in the Santa Monica Mountains, Los Angeles
County. The garden was founded by businessman and naturalist H. C. Oakley, who along with
partners, established a non-profit foundation to purchase the land. Elemer D. Merrill, the
University of California dean of the College of Agriculture, served as director and
president of the foundation. Facing financial setbacks after the crash of 1929, the garden
closed in 1935. Much of the property would later become part of the city of Brentwood and be
developed for real estate.
2.34 Linear Feet
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open for use by qualified researchers and by appointment. Please contact Reader Services at
the Huntington Library for more information.