Instruction in entomology began at the University of California in 1882 and, in 1891, C.W.
Woodworth became the discipline's first faculty member on campus. Until the middle of the
twentieth century, entomology instruction and research occured under the umbrella of the
College of Agriculture. The Division of Entomology of the College of Agriculture included
the University Farm on the site of what would become the University of California, Davis,
the Citrus Experiment Station at the future site of the University of California, Riverside
and the Plant Disease Laboratory in Whittier. In 1920, the Division of Entomology became the
Division of Entomology and Parasitology. In the mid-1950s, this division became a separate
Department of Entomology and Parasitology. By 1963, the department was reorganized into an
instructional department with four autonomous research divisions: Biological Control,
Entomology and Acarology, Invertebrate Pathology, and Parasitology. Over the next thirty
years, the department and the College of Agriculture went through several more
reorganizations. The College of Agriculture became the College of Natural Resources and, in
1993, the Departments of Entomology and Parasitology, Plant Pathology, Forestry and
Conservation, and Conservation and Resource Studies were combined into a single Department
of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management.
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.).
In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of
California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights,
licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright
beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the
copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. All requests to
reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in
writing to the Head of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California,
Berkeley 94720-6000. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.