The Canoga Park High School Collection
consists of photocopies of the student newspaper, commencement programs, playbills, football
rosters and schedules, programs from installation and awards ceremonies, and high school
events. The collection also contains programs for community and holiday events, a yearbook,
and Ermon K. Hicks' graduation announcement. The History of Canoga Park High School is
documented by two publications, the first a narrative fragment compiled from the Canoga Park
High School History Scrapbook, and the second, a collection of letters written to the
school, the school principal, or members of the faculty by alumni in military service during
World War II.
Canoga Park High School (CPHS) is the oldest high school in the west San Fernando Valley.
It opened with 14 students and 2 teachers on October 4, 1914. CPHS was originally named
Owensmouth High School. In 1914, CPHS was located on the second floor of Owensmouth Grammar
School. The first graduation on the campus of Owensmouth High School occurred in June 1916.
The graduating class consisted of two students, Edith Haas and Solly H. Patrick. On
September 11, 1916, Owensmouth High started the school year with a new building and a new
location at 6850 Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Canoga Park. Included in the new campus was an open
air theater known as the Greek Theater which served as a venue for entertainment, plays and
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of
this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge.
Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires
the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any
use rests exclusively with the user.
This collection is open for research use.