Philosophy teaching at Davis took root in 1952, while the campus was still known as College of Agriculture at Davis.
Appointed to lead the newly formed Department of Philosophy and Fine Arts, Arthur Child was the only philosopher for 31
undergraduate students. Five years later William Bossart became the second faculty member, leading to separate status as the
Department of Philosophy in 1958, and establishment of a major program in 1959, when the campus was designated the University
of California, Davis. The faculty grew further with the addition of Neal Gilbert, Ronald Arbini, Marjorie Grene and John
Malcolm in the 1960s. Professors Child and Gilbert established the foundation of an outstanding collection of philosophy
books and journals in both the Shields and the Department of Philosophy libraries, according to a historical account that
Malcolm, as a professor emeritus, prepared in 1999.
All applicable copyrights for the collection are protected under chapter 17 of the U.S. Copyright Code. Requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Regents of the University of California as the owner of the physical items. It is
not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.