At the turn of the previous century, growing concern over the quality of life for rural Americans prompted President Theodore
Roosevelt to appoint a Commission on Country Life in 1908. One of the direct outcomes of the Commission's recommendations
was the passage of the Smith-Lever Act in 1914, which established a national extension service to place the knowledge generated
at land-grant universities into the hands of farmers and rural citizens. The Agricultural Extension Service formalized and
built upon existing efforts of land-grant universities to enhance the knowledge of farmers and apply scientific discoveries
for improved agricultural practices. Beginning in 1913, the Agriculture Extension Service, later known as UC Cooperative Extension,
placed farm advisors employed by the University of California in every county that formed a farm bureau and agreed to sponsor
Extension Service work. While arrangements have evolved, advisors continue to work in all California counties today and address
problems ranging from soil conditions and land reclamation to irrigation; from livestock breeding to improved varietals; and
from mechanization to disease and pest management, to enable farms to increase efficiency and productivity.
This collection is intended to support teaching, research, and private study. Copyright belongs to the Regents of the University
of California. Use of the materials beyond that allowed by fair use or by any Creative Commons licenses assigned requires
the written permission of the copyright owner(s). For further information, please contact the University of California, Merced
Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This collection is open for research. A portion of the records have been digitized and are freely available online.