Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Masonic Union Lodge No. 58 Papers
MC 72  
View entire collection guide What's This?
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Scope and Contents
  • Preferred Citation

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: Sacramento Public Library, Sacramento Room
    Title: Masonic Union Lodge No. 58 Papers
    Identifier/Call Number: MC 72
    Physical Description: .5 Linear Feet 1 Archival Box
    Date (inclusive): 1855-1938
    Abstract: The collection contains items relating to the operation, promotion and history of Sacramento's Masonic Union Lodge 58, founded in 1854.

    Biographical / Historical

    Masonic Union Lodge 58 held its first "communication" on June 13, 1854, as one of 3 lodges – chartered by the Grand Lodge of California – operating in Sacramento. The name "Union" was chosen to acknowledge the reunion of several members who, belonging to other lodges in town that had dissolved, had reconnected under the auspices of 58. The first Master of Union Lodge was James Harvey Ralston, a Kentucky-born lawyer, veteran of the Black Hawk and Mexican wars and California State Senator. The lodge held meetings at two different locations until it, and other Sacramento lodges, formed the Masonic Hall Association, enabling, in November 1864, the purchase of a lot on the southwest corner of 6th and K streets for the construction of a new meeting space for all the city's lodges. By December 1865, a three story structure was complete. Union Lodge's last meeting at the 6th and K Street location was held in March 1920, with the group moving to a new location at 12th and J streets. By the time of its 75th anniversary in 1929, Union Lodge was made up of 500 members and up to 800 members by 1954. The Lodge – eventually renamed Union-Kit Carson Lodge No. 58 – had been absorbed by others with at the beginning of the twenty-first century and near its 150th anniversary.

    Scope and Contents

    With coverage from 1855 to 1938, the collection is composed of correspondence, display materials, photographs, bills of fare and published items, including a songbook. Series One, Correspondence, is composed of letters of establishment for Union Lodge, as sent from the Grand Lodge of San Francisco, invitations from neighboring lodges in Stockton, Humboldt and an 1874 letter of inquiry for funds to help build the Washington Monument. Series Two, Display Materials – hand written on thick cardstock – are aged and reflect an effort to exhibit images and ephemera from Union Lodge's past. Series Three, Photographs, include images of Anthony Egl, I.B. Cooledge, Benjamin Welch, J.A. Moke, Peter Zacharias, John W. Rock, J.R. Watson, Richard Dale, Thomas English, Joel Osgood Wilder and A.A. Redington. Series Four, Bills of Fare, include items from the Daily Bee Book and Job Printing Establishment, State Journal Power Press Printing Establishment, H.S. Crocker Steam Printers and Stationers, F. Foster, Dougliss and Dale, Sacramento Union Newspaper, Book and General Job Printing Establishment, H.A. Weaver and Co. and A. Eagle. Series Five, Published Items and Programs, includes menus, certificates of membership, programs for the corner stone laying and opening of the Masonic Temple at 12th and J streets, an 1865 program for the corner stone laying at the Masonic Hall at 6th and K streets, a "Remembrance Night" program and menu from December 1938, menus and programs for both 50th and 75th anniversaries, Union Lodge bylaws, and a published songbook entitled "Melodies for the Craft," published in 1852 and a survivor of Sacramento's great flood of 1862. The researcher should note that many dates are based on the Anno Lucis dating system which, starting at 4000 AL, means that 5855 would be the equivalent of 1855

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Masonic Union Lodge No. 58 Papers, MC 72, Sacramento Room, Sacramento Public Library, Sacramento, California.