This collection consists of an approximately 400 page ledger. Each page contains
approximately eight pre-printed prescription forms, as completed in manuscript by local
physicians, with the medication filled by Boerner's Pharmacy. The majority of prescriptions
are from physicians and apothecary shops throughout Iowa City, with many local practitioners
well represented (Dr. E. F. Clapp, Dr. R. W. Hill, Dr. Elizabeth Hess, Dr. C. M. Hobby, T.
J. Rigg, Dr. A. E. Rockey, Drs. Shrader & Lytle, J. H. Whetstone, etc.). Also
prescriptions are found from veterinarian T. S. Butler who maintained an office in the same
building as Boerner's Pharmacy. Boerner also occasionally filled prescriptions written by
out of town health care providers for students and visitors to Iowa City from places such as
Marshalltown, Iowa and Friendville, Nebraska. Many prescriptions show the price paid by the
customer, and among the many medicinal preparations found here include cocaine, morphine
sulfate, morphine pills, belladonna, quinine, sarsaparilla syrup, strychnine, etc.A
wonderful primary source for pharmacy operation, and medicine use, during the late 19th
Century in the U.S. Midwest.
"Emil Boerner was the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy's first Dean and is credited
with creation of the modern-day college. He received his early education in Iowa and
graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1876. He returned to Iowa to open the
Boerner Pharmacy that same year. In 1880, he and the President of the Iowa State
Pharmaceutical Association urged UI officials to establish a pharmacy education program. The
first class of 12 men and one woman enrolled in 1885, with Boerner serving as its sole
faculty member. Students took other courses, such as botany and chemistry, in other
University departments. Under Boerner?s leadership, the college moved to the new Hall of
Pharmacy and Chemistry on the corner of Dubuque Street and Iowa Avenue in 1891." (Source:
University of Iowa College of Pharmacy).