The University of Southern California School of Philosophy was established in 1929 by the USC Board of Trustees, replacing
the Department of Philosophy. The first director of the School was Ralph Tyler Flewelling, who previously served as chair
of the deparment and was instrumental in getting the School approved. These records primarily contain the administrative files
of the early School directors, beginning with Flewelling, followed by Daniel S. Robinson, W.H. Werkmeister, and John Hospers,
and professional files and some personal files of Flewelling and Robinson, as well as several faculty members, including B.A.G
Fuller, Heinrich Gomperz, Paul Helsel, and F.C.S. Schiller. In addition, the records contain files on the James Harmon Hoose
Library of Philosophy, "The Personalist", and selected students. The dates of the collection are 1889-1988 (bulk dates, 1903-1977).
The University of Southern California (USC) School of Philosophy, which began initially as the Department of Philosophy, was
officially established in May 1929. The first director of the new school was Ralph Tyler Flewelling, a professor of philosophy
at USC since 1917 and head of the philosophy department at the time.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.