Biographical / Historical
Scope and Contents
Language of Material:
Center for Sacramento History
Title: Catholic Ladies Relief Society Chapter #1
Catholic Ladies Relief Society. Chapter #1. Sacramento
Identifier/Call Number: MS0012
16.4 linear feet
15 boxes: 11 record cartons, 1 flat oversize box (16"W), 1 shoe box, 1 small flat box (8.75 W"), 1 small flat box (11" W)
Date (inclusive): 1888-2015
Date (bulk): 1960-2010
Abstract: The Catholic Ladies Relief Society (CLRS) Chapter #1 was incorporated on April 24, 1888, two years after Reverend Patrick
Monogue was appointed the first Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento by Pope Leo XIII. CLRS was formed to provide assistance
to the poor, orphans, and other needy people within the Diocese of Sacramento. The collection documents CLRS #1 (Sacramento)
from its inception in 1888 to 2015, with most materials dating from circa 1960 to 2010. The organization is still currently
active. The collection consists primarily of administrative records such as financial reports, meeting minutes, correspondence,
membership records, annual convention programs and materials along with position papers, newsletters and newspaper clippings,
photographs, negatives, photograph albums, and scrapbooks that document the history of this organization.
[Identification of item], MS0012, Catholic Ladies Relief Society Chapter #1, Center for Sacramento History.
The collection is made up of two acquisitions (2015/014 and 2017/007) that were processed together into MS0012. Processing
and finding aid were done by Lynn Aiello, 2019.
There were many duplicate items in this collection. Two clean originals and any annotated copies of correspondence, memos,
event ephemera, forms, manuals and other were retained; duplicates of those were recycled. Some newpaper articles were photocopied
on archival paper and the originals were discarded. Other original newpaper articles were retained. Scrapbooks and photograph
albums were color photocopied and those with adhesive pages were dismantled; photographs were sleeved and the ephemera that
could be removed intact were put into folders. Binders, nonarchival folders, and containers were recycled or disposed of.
Any items such as membership rosters that contain personal information were shredded. Receipts were discarded and cancelled
checks were shredded.
Biographical / Historical
The Catholic Ladies Relief Society Chapter #1 (CLRS #1) was incorporated on April 24, 1888, two years after Reverend Patrick
Monogue was appointed the first Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento by Pope Leo XIII. Prior to forming its own diocese, Sacramento
was part of the San Francisco diocese, where a group of women were actively engaged in charitable works through the San Francisco
church. Nine of these women applied for incorporation to start the Catholic Ladies Relief Society in order to provide assistance
to the poor, orphans, and other needy people within the Diocese of Sacramento regardless of their ethnicity or church affiliation.
CLRS #1 has been involved in a number of charitable activities since the group's inception, including the establishment of
the Catholic Welfare Bureau, now known as Catholic Social Services; giving Christmas baskets of food each year, which began
in 1900 and is still carried on today; the formation of the Sacramento Women's Council (1904-2004), which helped make the
city a beautiful and safe community with lighted streets, trees, and other civic works; opening and operating the Day Nursery
Home (1918), a day care for the children of cannery workers, the first of its kind; helping with the "Americanization" program
sponsored by the Sisters of Mary to assist immigrant children and their families; assisting with the Stanford Lathrop Home;
and sewing clothing for the children who lived at St. Patrick's Home after it opened in 1932.
CLRS volunteers have also provided financial donations to the Sacramento Food Bank, Loaves and Fishes, Maryhouse, Mustard
Seed School, and Bishop Gallegos Maternity Home, as well as material supplies such as sewing layettes and Christmas baskets.
Previously funded by dues and donations, CLRS became part of the Community Chest from 1923-1970, now known as the United Way,
which provided financial support. Although no longer receiving this support, the work of CLRS continues through membership
dues, fundraisers, and donations.
Scope and Contents
This collection documents CLRS #1 from its inception in 1888 to 2015, with most of the materials dating from circa 1960 to
2010. As of 2019, the organization is still currently active. The collection consists primarily of administrative records
like financial reports, membership records, annual convention programs and materials along with position papers, newsletters
and newspaper clippings, photographs (and some negatives), photograph albums, and scrapbooks that document the history of
Materials were collected by various members through the years. Papers in binders and files belonging to specific individuals
are organized in folders bearing that individual's name, i.e. Jean Paolini Papers papers.
All folders are in alphabetical order by subject or event, and then arranged chronologically. The majority of photographs
can be found in Series 2, Events, though photos can be found throughout the three series. There is a note in "general notes"
for each folder that contains photographic media.
Series 3, Membership, has rosters for CLRS#1, as well as for the branch or subordinate societies: Marysville, CLRS#2; Chico,
CLRS#3; Colusa, CLRS#4; Grass Valley, CLRS#5; Auburn, CLRS#6; Citrus Heights, CLRS#11; and Oroville, CLRS#12.
This collection is arranged into 3 series:
Series 1. Administrative records, 1888-2015
Series 2. Events, 1924-2015
Series 3. Membership, 1932-2015
Series 1. Administrative records, 1888-2015.
This series consists of administrative records such as the original Articles of Incorporation, correspondence, meeting minutes,
and financial reports; bylaws booklets with editing through the years; historical documents and scrapbooks, publications such
as CLRS newsletters and the CLRS Messenger, as well as The Ramblings of Father Dan, who is a popular Sacramento parish priest
and founder of the Loaves and Fishes mission. In addition, papers in binders and files belonging to specific individuals were
organized in folders bearing that individual's name, i.e. Jean Paolini papers.
Series 2. Events 1924-2015.
This series is made up of event-related materials, including an extensive collection of convention minutes and ephemera dating
from 1932 to 2014, as well as photographs, albums, and ephemera such as invitations, tickets, bookmarks, and event pamphlets,
Series 3. Membership, 1932-2015.
This series is composed primarily of lists and rosters with contact information for members, which has been organized by date.
Rosters from active branch organizations are also included. In addition, there are two folders, one containing obituaries,
tributes, newspaper clippings, and prayer cards and one that has religious items such as copies of prayers and sermons, along
with a few photographs.
Two artifacts have been separated from the archival material: a Bank of America stamp and a 50 years of service plaque honoring
Veronica Fritzsche. This box is located at SP SV 36:E:07.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Church charities -- California -- Sacramento
Women in charitable work -- California -- Sacramento
Charitable institutions (Sacramento, Calif)
Women in community service (Sacramento, Calif)
Catholic Ladies Relief Society (Sacramento, Calif)
Women's service organizations
Community service -- California -- Sacramento
Women volunteers -- California -- Sacramento