The Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes (BPMH) is a ministry related to the Presbytery of San Francisco that operates through
a California non-profit corporation. Founded in 1937, the BPMH originally provided housing for international missionaries
who were in between assignments or retiring.By 1997, it mainly provided housing for students and professors at San Francisco
Theological Seminary or other local seminaries.
The Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes (BPMH) was founded in 1937 by Mrs. Caroline Babcock Adams and her sisters, Miss
Helen E. Babcock and Miss F. Elizabeth Babcock. The BPMH is a ministry related to the Presbytery of San Francisco that operates
through a California non-profit corporation.
The homes are operated by a board of directors and a manager who lives on-site.The initial facilities consisted of a court
of seven cottages. The BPMH expanded in 1967 with the purchase of six apartment units and two larger homes. These facilities
originally provided temporary housing for international missionary personnel who were going to or from fields of service,
on furlough or in the process of preparing to retire. By 1997 the BPMH primarily provided housing for students and professors
from across the United States and around the world that were working towards advance degrees at the San Francisco Theological
Seminary (SFTS) or one of the other seminaries of the Graduate Theological Union (GTU). Though priority is given to mission
personnel of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) persons from other countries and denominations are welcome.
Part of the Berkeley Presbyterian Missionary Homes’ Mission Statement in 1997 included the goal of "permitting the residents
to grow into a world
community and a real mission presence within the larger church community." This goal is reflected in the activities and events
of the BPMH, which includes study groups and discussions, social gatherings, an annual Open House, lectures and evening conversations
with international church leaders. The BPMH continues to operate in this capacity.
4 linear feet (6 boxes)
Copyright has not been assigned to The Graduate Theological Union. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Graduate Theological Union
as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the reader.
Open for research.