A collection containing letters,
documents, manuscripts, and 117 volumes related to Fort Nisqually, DuPont,
Fort Nisqually, on Puget Sound near the mouth of the Nisqually River in the state of
Washington, was founded as a Hudson's Bay Company post in 1833. Originally a fur-trading
station, it became mainly a supply station for the other company forts in the region. The
development of stock raising and farming on the surrounding lands led to the organization in
1838 of the Puget Sound Agricultural Company as a subsidiary of the Hudson's Bay Company,
with William Tolmie as manager. After 1845, when friction developed between the company and
the increasing number of American settlers, the United States government bought out the Fort
Nisqually holdings of both the Hudson's Bay and the Puget Sound Agricultural companies, and
the business closed in 1870.
35.4 Linear Feet
(22 boxes, 117 volumes, 1 oversize folder)
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from
or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The
responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining
necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department.
For more information, contact Reader Services.