The Magín Catalá, O.F.M. Collection, circa 1885-2009 (bulk 1885-1909), documents the life of Fray Magín Catalá. Often referred
to as the “Holy Man of Santa Clara,” Fr. Catalá was stationed at Mission Santa Clara for thirty-six years and was widely renowned
for his piety and spiritual labors. In 1882, more than fifty years after Magín Catalá’s death, Archbishop J.S. Alemany, O.P.
initiated the process of his beatification. As of 2014, his Cause remained open. The bulk of the collection consists of reproductions
of deposition transcripts taken circa 1885 and again in 1908-1909 during the beatification process of Fray Magín Catalá. The
collection is arranged into three series: Series I. Process of Beatification, circa 1885-1909; Series II. Biographical Publications
and Related Materials, circa 1909-2009 (bulk 1909-1964); and Series III. Relics and Devotional Materials, circa 1907-1962.
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
2.8 linear feet
Materials in the Santa Clara University’s Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated
otherwise, Santa Clara University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user
or publisher must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Santa Clara University does not assume any responsibility
for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or
The collection is open for research.