This collection contains 36 photographs of early Redondo Beach, mostly depicting images of Hotel Redondo. Images of the hotel
include shots of the interior and exterior; north and south entrances; Red Line train tracks in front of the hotel; and the
grounds. Also included are images of Redondo Beach that feature the beach, pier, dock, casino, bath house, and pavilion; as
well as images of small boats in the Pacific Ocean.
Hotel Redondo opened in 1890, contained 225 rooms within three stories, and was constructed in an architectural style known
as High Victorian Gothic. Around this time, Redondo Beach, which was incorporated as a town in 1892, served as a port for
Los Angeles so having a hotel in this area was vital to supporting both commerce and tourism, with railroads and steamships
alike bringing people to Redondo Beach. The hotel was demolished in 1925.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Archives
and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical
materials and not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.