Collection of architectural drawings of Camp Calvin B. Matthews, a former U.S. Marine base located north of San Diego (Calif.)
and transferred to the University of California, San Diego, in 1964. The drawings, usually pencil on tracing paper, were created
or contracted for by the Department of the Navy, Eleventh Naval District, Bureau of Yards and Docks, and given to the University
at the time of transfer. The drawings date from 1929 to 1959 and document buildings, streets, utilities, rifle ranges, and
other facilities of Camp Matthews. The drawings are housed in 15 oversize folders and are arranged in three series: 1) GENERAL
PLANS, 2) UTILITIES, and 3) BUILDINGS AND FACILITIES.
Camp Matthews was established in 1918 as a U.S. Marine rifle range under the command of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.
It was called the Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla from 1918 until 1942, when it was renamed Camp Matthews after Brigadier General
Calvin B. Matthews, a coach of Marine rifle and pistol teams and a strong advocate of Marine marksmanship.