The photograph collection documents the architectural styles of San Francisco buildings photographed by James A. Scott from
1960 – 1995 (with the bulk of the collection 1965 – early 1970s). The collection includes over 4,000 photographic prints,
190 rolls of negatives and a photo essay entitled San Francisco Shooting Match. Scott photographed significant San Francisco
buildings as well as residences in neighborhoods across the city. Over the span of 35 years photographing the city’s architecture,
Scott was able to document the buildings demolished by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency in the Western Addition and
South of Market districts.
James Allen Scott was born on October 13, 1922 to Helen Lubin Scott and Donald Oliver Scott in San Francisco, California.
The Scott family lived first in San Francisco and then in Eden of Alameda County. Scott attended Hayward Union High School
and won a summer session scholarship to California School of Fine Arts in 1937. Scott photographed the architectural features
of San Francisco from 1960 – 1995. From 1975 until his death, Scott lived on California Street in lower Pacific Heights.
3 cubic feet: 6 boxes
All requests for permission to publish from photographs must be submitted in writing to the Photo Curator. Permission for
publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during Photo Desk hours.