The Art Directors Guild collection spans the years 1937-2000 (bulk 1940-1965). The collection contains
over 25 linear feet of manuscripts, over 13 linear feet of photographs, and more than 1,300 drawings. It
documents the work of art directors such as Ken Anderson, Albert Brenner, Richard Day, Ernst Fegte,
Alexander Golitzen, David Hall, William A. Horning, Urie McCleary, Richard H. Riedel, Allen Smith, Jack
Martin Smith, J. Russell Spencer, and Lyle Wheeler. The materials were assembled by the Art Directors
Guild as a reference collection over a number of years.
The Art Directors Guild local 800 is part of the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage
Employees (IATSE). The Guild began in 1924 when a group of working art directors formed the Cinemagundi
Club as a social forum. In 1937, the Club became the Society of Motion Picture Art Directors. In 2000,
the Society became the Art Directors Guild. The Guild includes art directors, scenic, title and graphic
artists, illustrators and matte artists and set designers and model makers.
25.2 linear feet of papers.
13.9 linear feet of photographs.
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Margaret Herrick Library. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining all necessary rights, licenses, or permissions from the appropriate companies
or individuals before quoting from or publishing materials obtained from the library.
Available by appointment only.