Patrick Cunneen collection of South End Rowing Club photographs, 1880-2003, bulk 1930-1970

Boathouse and surrounding neighborhood, 1880, circa 1904-1977, bulk (bulk bulk 1960-1977)

Containers:
Items 416-452; Boxes 1, 3, 5
Extent:
37 items
Scope and content:

Contains photographs of the front and back area of the SERC boathouse at the foot of Van Ness Avenue, the foot of Larkin Street, and the foot of Hyde Street.

There is one photograph of men standing in front of the boathouse at an unknown location: it is possibly when the boathouse was at the foot of 16th Street, but this could not be verified. There are no photographs of the boathouse at the end of Third Street.

Other photographs include a copy of a photograph taken in 1880 showing Black Point and the corner of Bay Street and Hyde Street, a cable car on Hyde Street, sunbathers on Aquatic Park Beach, and Opening Day on the Bay.

Black-and-white and color photographic prints and negatives.

Biographical / historical:

The club had their boathouse in various locations over the years.

The following is a chronology of the boathouse locations.

Chronology
Date Event
1873-1904 End of Third Street until the summer of 1904.
1904-1908 Foot of 16th Street near the Arctic Oil Wharf until late 1908.
1908-Jul/Aug 1927 Foot of Van Ness.
Jul/Aug 1927-Dec 6, 1937 Foot of Larkin.
Dec 7, 1937-present Hyde Street and Jefferson Street.

There were dual towers on back side of boathouse until around 1964, when a fire destroyed the left one (which was never rebuilt) (Pickelhaupt, 50). The boathouse was painted rust with green trim and a green shamrock in the 1960s. Around 1975, it was repainted white with red trim.

Source: Pickelhaupt, Bill. 2005. San Francisco's Aquatic Park. San Francisco: Arcadia Publishing.

Arrangement:

Arranged chronologically.

Contents

Access and use

Parent restrictions:
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.
Parent terms of access:
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Location of this collection:
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123, US
Contact:
415-561-7030