Records document the dealings of the gallery
in Berlin from 1925-1933 and the New York gallery from 1933 into the early
1990s. The bulk of the papers dated from 1950-1985. Circa 2,500 photographs of
art and 23 photograph albums illustrate the stock, primarily Old Master
paintings and drawings, exhibited, bought and sold by the gallery.
Letters of expertise and correspondence with clients, dealers, art historians
and other experts dates from the years 1933-1985, and document the daily
business of the gallery for the years 1950-1985.
Hanns and Kate Schaeffer began as art dealers in Berlin in 1925, and
moved to New York in 1935 where they became a rallying point for emigré
scholars and musicians (W. Stechow, J. Held, R. Wittkower, O. Hagen, among
others). The Berlin gallery operated between 1925-1939, the New York gallery
from 1935 into the 1990s. The gallery specialized in Old Master Paintings, at
first concentrating on Flemish and Dutch masters, later adding Italian
paintings and far more drawings from all schools. The gallery was the agent for Benjamin
Katz during the war years and had considerable dealings with the Duits family
and business. Hanns Schaeffer died in 1967 and Kate Schaeffer carried on the
business for almost 20 years with a particular interest in drawings.
Contact Library Rights and Reproductions
Open for use by qualified researchers.