Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Stanford University, School of Earth Sciences, Records
SC0405  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (87.71 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Early accessions include minutes, by laws, correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other records of the School, 1940-92; minutes, notices, correspondence, by-laws, reports, and miscellaneous records of the Associates of the School of Earth Sciences, 1940-63; a portfolio on the School with photographs and architectural drawings, 1947; and portraits and photographs of faculty, students (including a 1903 geology field trip), and several of Ruth Wattis Mitchell, a benefactor of the School. Of note in the records are minutes, memoranda, and correspondence pertaining to the organization of the School of Mineral Sciences, 1940, and the Report on the School of Mineral Sciences by the Visiting Committee of the Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences, June 14, 1957. Series 2016-135 contains meeting records, correspondence, speeches, presentations, essays, media (photographs, CDs, DVDs, audio cassettes), and documents related to the activities of the School of Earth Sciences. The School was founded in 1891 and underwent several name changes until 2015 when it was renamed to School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences. This collection contains items from as far back as 1893 and items as recent as 2005.
Background
When Stanford University opened in 1891, two of its academic departments were Geology and Mining Engineering. When the departments were organized into Schools in 1926, geology became part of the School of Physical Sciences and mining was placed in the School of Engineering. In January 1947, the School of Mineral Sciences was organized, with A.I. Levorsen as its first Dean. The School, known now as the School of Earth Sciences, has five departments: applied earth sciences, environmental studies, geology, geophysics, and petroleum engineering.
Extent
18.75 Linear Feet
Restrictions
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
Availability
This collection is open for research.