Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Stanford University, School of Earth Sciences, Records
SC0405  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (57.75 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical/Historical Sketch
  • Description of the Collection
  • Access Terms

  • Overview

    Call Number: SC0405
    Creator: Stanford University. School of Earth Sciences
    Title: Stanford University, School of Earth Sciences, records
    Dates: 1903-1992
    Physical Description: 1.5 Linear feet
    Summary: Collection includes minutes, by laws, correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other records of the School, 1940-92; minutes, notices, correspondence, by-laws, reports, and miscellaneous records of the Associates of the School of Earth Sciences, 1940-63; a portfolio on the School with photographs and architectural drawings, 1947; and portraits and photographs of faculty, students (including a 1903 geology field trip), and several of Ruth Wattis Mitchell, a benefactor of the School. Of note in the records are minutes, memoranda, and correspondence pertaining to the organization of the School of Mineral Sciences, 1940, and the Report on the School of Mineral Sciences by the Visiting Committee of the Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences, June 14, 1957.
    Language(s): The materials are in English.
    Repository: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
    Stanford University Libraries
    557 Escondido Mall
    Stanford, CA 94305-6064
    Email: speccollref@stanford.edu
    Phone: (650) 725-1022
    URL: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/spc.html

    Administrative Information

    Information about Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Ownership & Copyright

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Cite As

    Stanford University, School of Earth Sciences, Records (SC0405). Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Biographical/Historical Sketch

    When Stanford University opened in 1891, two of its academic departments were Geology and Mining Engineering. When the departments were organized into Schools in 1926, geology became part of the School of Physical Sciences and mining was placed in the School of Engineering. In January 1947, the School of Mineral Sciences was organized, with A.I. Levorsen as its first Dean. The School, known now as the School of Earth Sciences, has five departments: applied earth sciences, environmental studies, geology, geophysics, and petroleum engineering.

    Description of the Collection

    Collection includes minutes, by laws, correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other records of the School, 1940-92; minutes, notices, correspondence, by-laws, reports, and miscellaneous records of the Associates of the School of Earth Sciences, 1940-63; a portfolio on the School with photographs and architectural drawings, 1947; and portraits and photographs of faculty, students (including a 1903 geology field trip), and several of Ruth Wattis Mitchell, a benefactor of the School. Of note in the records are minutes, memoranda, and correspondence pertaining to the organization of the School of Mineral Sciences, 1940, and the Report on the School of Mineral Sciences by the Visiting Committee of the Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences, June 14, 1957.

    Access Terms

    Associates of the School of Earth Sciences.
    Associates of the School of Mineral Sciences.
    Mitchell, Ruth Wattis.
    Smith, Judy
    Stanford University--Students.
    Stanford University. School of Earth Sciences
    Stanford University. School of Mineral Sciences.
    Architectural drawings.
    Earth sciences--Study and teaching.
    Geology--Study and teaching (Higher)--California.
    Photoprints