Scope and Content
Title: Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Culture Center. Exhibition files.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 776
UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material:
18 linear ft.
Record Series 776 contains exhibition files created by the curators of the Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center
(Hammer Museum) and the Frederic S. Wight Art Gallery (Wight Gallery). Included are materials documenting exhibitions held
at the Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center and the Frederic S. Wight Art Gallery; exhibitions organized by the
Armand Hammer Museum and the Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts (Grunwald Center); and traveling exhibits developed by other
Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Culture Center.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Some materials in the following boxes are restricted: Box 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center. Exhibition files (University Archives Record Series
776). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.
Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Culture Center
Founded by Dr. Armand Hammer, former Chairman of Occidental Petroleum Corporation, the Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Culture
Center opened to the public in November of 1990. After Hammer's death in December of that year, the museum began negotiations
with UCLA, resulting with the university assuming management and operations of the Hammer Museum in 1994. In 1995, the collections
and staff of UCLA's Frederic S. Wight Art Gallery and Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts were relocated to the Hammer and
Henry Hopkins, formerly the director of the Wight Gallery, became director of the Hammer Museum until his retirement in 1998.
Frederick S. Wight Art Gallery
Established in 1953 as the University Art Galleries for the display of fine art in UCLA's Art Building, the gallery was renamed
the Frederick S. Wight Art Gallery in 1973 in honor of Frederick S. Wight (1902-1986), chairman of the art department and
director of the original University Art Galleries. In 1965 the gallery moved from the Arts Building into the Dickson Art Center
where it was used for student shows and traveling exhibitions. In 1995 the gallery staff moved to the Armand Hammer Museum
of Art and Cultural Center, and the Wight Art Gallery became known as the New Wight Gallery, located on the UCLA campus in
the Eli and Edyth Broad Art Center (formerly known as the Dickson Art Center.)
Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts at UCLA
Established in 1956 as the Grunwald Graphic Arts Foundation with a substantial gift of 5,000 prints and drawings from Fred
Grunwald, the center became a repository and primary research facility for the university's extensive collection of prints,
drawings, photographs, and artists' books. In 1965 the foundation was located in the upper level of the Frederic S. Wight
Art Gallery in the newly opened Dickson Art Center. In 1974 the Grunwald Graphic Arts Foundation was renamed the Grunwald
Center for the Graphic Arts, and in 1992 became a public arts program of UCLA's School of the Arts. In 1994, the staff and
collection of the Grunwald Center were moved to the Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center.
Scope and Content
Record Series 776 contains correspondence, slides, photographs, loan forms, press releases, reviews, and related research
materials documenting various art exhibitions held at the Armand Hammer Museum of Art and Cultural Center (Hammer Museum)
from 1992-1996, the Frederick S. Wight Gallery of Art (Wight Gallery) from 1985-1994, and the Grunwald Center for the Graphic
Arts (Grunwald Center) from 1989-1994. Also included are brief biographies of artists represented in the exhibitions, as well
as label text and essays used in the exhibition catalogues.
Within each exhibition, file folders are organized alphabetically by function, such as Curatorial, Education, Membership,
Registration, etc. Dated materials within these folders are organized in chronological order. The materials within each of
these functional categories may include the following:
- Curatorial: artist biographies, brochures, catalogue essays, catalogues, checklists, comment books, contracts, correspondence,
flyers, installation layouts and slides, insurance, label text, lender files and loan forms, lists of accepted and unaccepted
art work, photographs, press releases, receipts, release agreements, research, and shipping documents.
- Development: budgets
- Director's Office: correspondence
- Education: budgets and projections, brochures, calendars and distribution lists, correspondence, "Dialogues on Art" programing,
docent training, education packets, events, flyers, invitations, lectures, outreach, research materials, slides, survey results,
symposia, teacher training, and visual productions.
- Media Relations: media reports, press clippings, press previews, and press releases.
- Membership: direct sales campaign, opening night invitations, invitation lists and related materials.
- Photography: photographs and slides.
- Publication: catalogue text and catalogues.
- Registration: budget files, condition reports and photographs, correspondence, framing, insurance, loan forms, memos, receipts,
This is an active record series; additional University records are expected to be added.