Scope and Content of Collection
Call Number: SC0117
Stanford University. Bing Overseas Studies Programs.
Title: Stanford University, Bing Overseas Studies Program, records
111.25 Linear feet
Summary: Records pertain to the administration of the office at Stanford and the overseas campuses in Great Britain, Italy, Austria,
France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, and other locations.
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives.
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Administrative transfers, Overseas Studies, 1974-2014.
Information about Access
Collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
Ownership & Copyright
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections.
Stanford University Bing Overseas Studies Program records, SC 0117. Stanford University Archives, Stanford, Calif.
The Overseas Studies Office was established in 1958, and Robert A. Walker, a professor of political science at Stanford University
and chairman of the Committee on General Studies, was appointed director. The first campus was set up in Beutelsbach, German
in 1958 and shortly thereafter, in October of 1960 two additional locations in Tours, France, and Florence, Italy, were opened.
Later, as demand grew, centers were opened in Britain at Harlaxton in 1966, in Austria in October 1966, and at Salamanca,
Spain in October 1968.
These study programs proved inordinately popular until the late 1960s, when enrollments began to decline. In August of 1973,
Mark Mancall, formerly a professor of history at Stanford, took over as director of the program with a difficult task ahead
of him. He was faced with declining enrollments, rising costs overseas, and a budget cut by more than a third as part of the
university's three-year belt-tightening program instituted in 1975. In addition, many of the programs were drawing increasing
criticism regarding academic integrity, academic relevance to the particular locale, and methods of selecting professor for
faculty positions. Under Mancall's leadership, the programs became more community-based with students living in a variety
of housing options, rather than based around a single campus-building, and new programs were opened in Haifa and Mexico City.
Subsequent directors included Tom Heller, Russell Berman, Amos Nur, Norman Naimark, and Robert Sinclair. The program was renamed
the Bing Overseas Studies Program in 2005.
Scope and Content of Collection
Records pertain to the administration of the office at Stanford and the overseas campuses in Great Britain, Italy, Austria,
France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, and other locations and include correspondence, memoranda, financial records, minutes, academic
records, orientation handbooks, and photographs. Also includes architectural drawings and insurance inventory and valuations
of pictures and furnishings in Harlaxton Manor, Grafton, Stanford's first "Stanford-in-Britain" campus.
Kornberg, Roger D.
Stanford University. Office of Overseas Studies Programs
Walker, Robert A.
Harlaxton Manor--Grantham (Lincolnshire).