On January 1, 1998 the Board of Forestry became the Board of Forestry and Fire Protection through an amendment to the Public
Resources Code. The Board of Forestry and Fire Protection records cover the years 1998-2006 and are arranged into four series:
Meeting Agendas; Board Meeting Monthly Binders; Premail Files; and Mass Mailings.
A State Board of Forestry was first created in 1885 (chapter 11) consisting of three persons appointed to four-year terms
by the Governor. The Board was authorized to collect and disseminate statistics in regard to forestry and tree culture, to
make investigations, enforce and carry out national and state forestry laws, and other responsibilities. The first Board
was legislated out of existence in 1893 (chapter 187) and its property turned over to the Agricultural Department of the University
of California. Maintenance of established forestry experimental stations was also transferred to the University's Agricultural
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
Collection is open for research.