Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documentation Project Records, 1848-2004, undated, bulk 1960-2003
BANC MSS 2005/174 c  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (142.00 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Collection Summary
  • Information for Researchers
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection

  • Collection Summary

    Collection Title: Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documentation Project records
    Date (inclusive): 1848-2004,
    Date: undated,
    Date (bulk): , bulk 1960-2003
    Collection Number: BANC MSS 2005/174 c
    Creator: Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., Presbytery of San Francisco. Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Extent: Number of containers: 6 cartons, 1 oversize box, 8 oversize folders Linear feet: 8.15
    Repository: The Bancroft Library
    Berkeley, California 94720-6000
    Abstract: The Historical Documentation Project (HDoc) materials spanning the dates of 1848 to 2004 were donated by Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC), San Francisco, pastors, officers, and members. They contain the background information and records of the project; All-Church records; papers of Pastor Franz S. Wichman which includes some photographs and historical information of the Cameron House, Pastor Harry Chuck's files relating to his participation on the Mei Lun Yuen Housing Project, and Pastor Calvin Chinn's coursework and sermons. Also included are materials relating to activities within the English, Mandarin, and Cantonese congregations with the majority of materials in English and some in Chinese. Materials generated as part of the goals to document the church community's history for the project such as interview transcripts with corresponding audio/visual tapes and photographs taken of church activities were produced between 2001 and 2004. The collection consists of correspondence, organization records, minutes, reports, sermons, papers, ordination materials, orders of worship, articles, newsletters, newsclippings, architectural drawings and plans, photographs, negatives, and slides.
    Languages Represented: Collection materials are in English and Chinese
    Physical Location: Many of the Bancroft Library collections are stored offsite and advance notice may be required for use. For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.

    Information for Researchers

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documentation Project Records, BANC MSS 2005/174 c, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

    Alternate Forms Available

    There are no alternate forms of this collection.

    Related Collections

    Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documantation Project records [graphic], BANC PIC 2005.073.

    Separated Material

    Ledger of accounts, ca 1910-1921; Kindergarten Register, 1916-1921, and Primary Register, 1918-1924; Session Minutes, 1909-1995, retained by the Church and available on microfilm with call number BANC FILM 2766 at The Bancroft Library. Photographs not integral to the collection have been transferred to Pictorial Collection of The Bancroft Library, BANC PIC 2005.073. Audio/visual tapes have been transferred to the Microforms Collection of The Bancroft Library.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of San Francisco--Archives
    Chinese churches--California--San Francisco
    Chinese Americans--Religious life
    Chinese--Missions--California--San Francisco
    Chinese Americans--California--San Francisco Bay Area--Religion
    Clergy--California--San Francisco Bay Area
    Presbyterian Church--California--San Francisco
    Chinese--California--San Francisco
    San Francisco (Calif.)--Churches
    Chua, Christopher V., 1966-

    Administrative Information

    Acquisition Information

    The Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documentation Project Records was given toThe Bancroft Library by the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco on July 30, 2004.

    Accruals

    Additions are expected.

    Processing Information

    Processed by Janice Otani in 2005.

    Biographical Information

    Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco

    The Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC) located in San Francisco, California is the oldest Asian American Christian congregation in North America and also the first Chinese Protestant church to be established outside China. Designated a "foreign mission" by the Presbyterian denomination, the church opened its doors at 925 Stockton Street on November 6, 1853 with four members under the leadership of the Reverend Dr. William Speer. It was not until 1925 that jurisdiction of the church was transferred from the Board of Foreign Mission to the Board of National Missions. In 1947, the Board formalized a plan whereby the social work and community youth work mission of Donaldina Cameron House were united with the mission of the church. Reverend Franz "Dick" Wichman served as both the Director of Cameron House and co-pastor of the church until 1977. This connection enhanced the ministries of both through the sharing of facilities, resources, and leadership.
    After changing its name from the Presbyterian Chinese Mission Church, the congregation continued to be know as the Chinese Presbyterian Church until 1958, when the current name emphasizing the church's recognition of its social context was adopted by its members. PCC is one church with three congregations: English, Cantonese, and Mandarin. Out of this community came the first English/Chinese bilingual newspaper in the country, the first public school serving the early immigrant Chinese population in the United States, and the first Chinese daily newspaper in the country. The church also produced some of the earliest Chinese seminarians and pastors; was an early champion of women's rights, examining the intersection of gender, race, and class issues; and led the way in religiously based social activism among Asian American communities in the 1960s. The emphasis on youth and leadership training at Donaldina Cameron House and the church continues the mission of establishing strong lay and pastoral leadership to meet the needs of a growing Chinese American population throughout San Francisco.
    (information from PANA website: http://www.psr.edu/pana.cfm?m=132 )

    Historical Documentation Project

    The Historical Documentation Project (HDoc) is an initiative to establish an archive document history of an Asian American faith community, focusing on the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC) as the project site in recognition of its importance as the first Asian American church in North America, founded in 1853. Because of the absence of documented history of PCC, the project initiated a three-step process: Production, Preservation, and Presentation. The HDoc will produce new records in the forms of oral history interviewing, photographs, and videotapes; preserve organization materials gathered, arranged, and housed at The Bancroft Library for long-term safekeeping with full public access for research and educationa purposes; and present interpretative materials to showcase the resources gathered by the project and emphasize the importance of documents of this type of community history.
    The HDoc project, funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, began on July 1, 2002 as a two-year partnership among the Institute for Leadership Development and Study of Pacific and Asian North American Religion (PANA), the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco (PCC), and The Bancroft Library at the University of California, Berkeley. The project has become the HDoc Committee of the PCC who will continue to administer the three-step process and carry out the mission of maintaining an archive document history of the church and its community.
    (information from PANA website: http://www.psr.edu/pana.cfm?m=132 )

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The Historical Documentation Project (HDoc) materials spanning the dates of 1848 to 2004 were donated by Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC), San Francisco, pastors, officers, and members. They contain the background information and records of the project; All-Church records; papers of Pastor Franz S. Wichman which includes some photographs and historical information of the Donaldina Cameron House, Pastor Harry Chuck's files relating to his participation on the Mei Lun Yuen Housing Project, and Pastor Calvin Chinn's coursework and sermons. Also included are materials relating to activities within the English, Mandarin, and Cantonese congregations with the majority of materials in English and some in Chinese. Materials generated as part of the goals to document the church community's history for the project such as interview transcripts with corresponding audio/visual tapes and photographs taken of church activities were produced between 2001 and 2004. The collection consists of correspondence, organization records, minutes, reports, sermons, papers, ordination materials, orders of worship, articles, newsletters, newsclippings, architectural drawings and plans, photographs, negatives, and slides.
    The HDoc Project series contain articles describing the project and its mission written by Director, Christopher Chua, and session meeting minutes, exhibition materials, and an itemized donor list. Also included are transcripts of interviews conducted by Chua with Reverend Calvin Chinn and Reverend Bradford Woo, as well as church members Sharlene Hall, Jean Low, Winchell Quock, and Jennette Wei. Audio/visual tapes of the interviews have been transferred to the Microforms Collections of The Bancroft Library. The HDoc-Specific Photographic Series (2001-2004) documenting church gatherings and events have been transferred to the Pictorial Collections of The Bancroft Library along with photographs donated to the project which document the history of the church and congregation events dating from 1872 to 2003.
    The All-Church records include bylaws; organization information; correspondence; minutes of sessions and committees;ordination and installation orders of worship; membership information; reports; materials relating to Mei Lun Yuen Housing Project and Yook Yau Ji Ga Daycare; yearbooks; brochures; and programs of church anniversaries and activities; proposals and documents for the new church building/renovation along with architectural drawings and plans; publications of PCC and articles relating to the church.
    Pastor Franz S. Wichman's papers (1856-1996) include his files accummulated during his thirty-years of service to PCC and Donaldina Cameron House from 1947 to 1977. They consist of correspondence, Donaldina Cameron House historical information, sermons, and materials relating to PCC services and events. There are also Kith 'n Kin newsletters written by Wichman to the congregation as well as other related newspaper articles mentioning PCC, and miscellany. Pastor Harry Chuck's files (1970-1975) collected as Co-Director of the Chinatown Coalition for Better Housing (CCBH) for the Mei Lun Yuen Housing Project include correspondence, agreements, minutes, press releases, a photograph, and newsclippings. Pastor Calvin Chinn's papers (1963-2001) include coursework while attending the San Francisco Theological Seminary and ordination exam materials. The bulk of his papers consist of sermons dating from 1983 to 2001.
    The English, Mandarin, and Cantonese congregation records include correspondence, development proposals, mission statements, bylaws, reports, minutes, orders of worship, and materials relating to retreats, conferences, fellowships and individual members. Also included are newsletters and other publications.