Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown, San Francisco, Historical Documentation Project Records, 1848-2004, undated, bulk 1960-2003
BANC MSS 2005/174 c  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (142.01 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Historical Documentation Project (HDoc) materials spanning the dates of 1848 to 2004 were donated by Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC), San Francisco, pastors, officers, and members. They contain the background information and records of the project; All-Church records; papers of Pastor Franz S. Wichman which includes some photographs and historical information of the Cameron House, Pastor Harry Chuck's files relating to his participation on the Mei Lun Yuen Housing Project, and Pastor Calvin Chinn's coursework and sermons. Also included are materials relating to activities within the English, Mandarin, and Cantonese congregations with the majority of materials in English and some in Chinese. Materials generated as part of the goals to document the church community's history for the project such as interview transcripts with corresponding audio/visual tapes and photographs taken of church activities were produced between 2001 and 2004. The collection consists of correspondence, organization records, minutes, reports, sermons, papers, ordination materials, orders of worship, articles, newsletters, newsclippings, architectural drawings and plans, photographs, negatives, and slides.
Background
The Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC) located in San Francisco, California is the oldest Asian American Christian congregation in North America and also the first Chinese Protestant church to be established outside China. Designated a "foreign mission" by the Presbyterian denomination, the church opened its doors at 925 Stockton Street on November 6, 1853 with four members under the leadership of the Reverend Dr. William Speer. It was not until 1925 that jurisdiction of the church was transferred from the Board of Foreign Mission to the Board of National Missions. In 1947, the Board formalized a plan whereby the social work and community youth work mission of Donaldina Cameron House were united with the mission of the church. Reverend Franz "Dick" Wichman served as both the Director of Cameron House and co-pastor of the church until 1977. This connection enhanced the ministries of both through the sharing of facilities, resources, and leadership. The Historical Documentation Project (HDoc) is an initiative to establish an archive document history of an Asian American faith community, focusing on the Presbyterian Church in Chinatown (PCC) as the project site in recognition of its importance as the first Asian American church in North America, founded in 1853. Because of the absence of documented history of PCC, the project initiated a three-step process: Production, Preservation, and Presentation. The HDoc will produce new records in the forms of oral history interviewing, photographs, and videotapes; preserve organization materials gathered, arranged, and housed at The Bancroft Library for long-term safekeeping with full public access for research and educationa purposes; and present interpretative materials to showcase the resources gathered by the project and emphasize the importance of documents of this type of community history.
Extent
Number of containers: 6 cartons, 1 oversize box, 8 oversize folders Linear feet: 8.15
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research.