The mission of the Department of Animal Science is to create and disseminate knowledge about animals for the betterment of
animals, society, and the environment. The records include correspondence, minutes, reports, subject files, course lists,
scrapbooks, and reel-to-reel tapes documenting the administrative activities and programs of the Department of Animal Science.
The Department of Animal Science, originally the Division of Animal Husbandry, originated in Berkeley in 1901. The division
moved to Davis in 1908 and 1909 and later became the Department of Animal Husbandry. The department's name changed to Animal
Science in 1967, in recognition of an emphasis on the basic biology of domestic animals as well as animal husbandry in the
department's teaching and research programs. The mission of the Department of Animal Science is to create and disseminate
knowledge about animals for the betterment of animals, society, and the environment.
All applicable copyrights for the collection are protected under chapter 17 of the U.S. Copyright Code. Requests for permission
to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication
is given on behalf of the Regents of the University of California as the owner of the physical items. It is not intended to
include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Collection is open for research.