Scope and Content
Title: Lodi (Calif.) Police Registers,
Date (inclusive): 1913-1955
Collection number: Mss276
Extent: 3 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Lodi (Calif.) Police Registers, Mss276, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
The city of Lodi was incorporated in 1906. At that time the city had a population of
about 3,000. Lodi sits astride the Mokelumne River in a region of vineyards and orchards.
During the period represented by this collection it was a modest manufacturing and
farming community. Principal businesses included: the Super Mold Company [retread tires]
(1927); the Pinkerton Foundry (1934); the Guild Winery (1936) and General Mills (1947).
Before Lodi's incorporation law enforcement in the area was the concern of the San
Joaquin County Sheriff. From 1906 citizens elected a City Marshall, H.B. Coleman, who
also served as tax collector. Coleman resigned (1920) and was replaced by appointee R.B.
McClure (1920-1922), who, though not obliged to collect taxes, doubled as Street
Superintendent. Ferdinand Christiansen was next elected City Marshall and Street
Superintendent (1922). He became Lodi's first Chief of Police (1927). At the time of
Christiansen's election Lodi had a population of about 8,000. Following Clarence
Jackson's election as Chief (1934), the department grew substantially and by 1937 there
were five men on the force. Lodi's population in 1940 was about 13,000.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the Lodi (Calif.) Jail Registers [6 vols.] dating from
October 1913 through June 1955; the City Recorder's Record Book dating February 1913
through 1922; and, the Lodi Traffic Arrest Register dating July 1946 through October