The records of the Board of Athletic Control consist of minutebooks for 1916 through 1943, and bylaws, contracts, correspondence,
memoranda, reports, and other miscellaneous records, 1919 through 1954. Contracts include those with University of California
at Berkeley regarding football games, 1920-22, and one among Stanford, Berkeley, and University of Southern California regarding
standards, 1923. Also of note is a report by Prof. W. B. Wing on the farming and sheep herding operations of the Board (on
campus lands) to produce income for athletic events, 1921, much of which was overseen by Sam McDonald.
The Board of Athletic Control of Stanford University was established in 1916. The nine member Board consisted of students,
faculty, and alumni representatives. Their functions included care of athletic facilities, general control and supervision
of the competitive and non-competitive athletic and physical training department, recommendations for staff appointments,
control of all funds devoted to physical training and athletics for men, and oversight of competitive sports events. The Board
was discontinued when the Department of Athletics was organized in 1945.
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University