Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Edward L. Frick Collection, ca. 1912-1932
19XX-12  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.99 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Access Points
  • Biography
  • Scope and Contents Note
  • Related Collections

  • Descriptive Summary

    Collection Title: Edward L. Frick Collection,
    Date (inclusive): ca. 1912-1932
    Collection Number: 19XX-12
    Creator: Frick, Edward L., b. 1891
    Extent: 3 oversize folders
    Repository: Environmental Design Archives.
    University of California, Berkeley.
    Berkeley, California.
    Abstract: The collection consists of architectural drawings.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the Curator.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Edward L. Frick Collection, (19XX-12), Environmental Design Archives. University of California, Berkeley. Berkeley, California.

    Acquisition Information

    Provenance of the collection is unclear.

    Access Points

    Architects--California.
    Architecture--California.

    Biography

    Edward L. Frick (1891-19??)
    Edward Frick was born in 1891 and went to the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1913, after winning a scholarship from the Architectural League of the Pacific Coast. After the school closed due to World War I, Frick returned to San Francisco to work for the firm Bakewell & Brown. When the United States entered the war, he enlisted in the military in a detachment of engineers and architects and was sent to France. Following the war, Frick finished his studies at the Ecole receiving his degree in 1922. He continued to be associated with Arthur Brown Jr., even after Bakewell & Brown dissolved in 1927. From 1935 to 1939 Frick was chief of architecture for the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island. He was a member of the San Francisco Art Commission from 1935 to 1945. In 1941, he established the firm Weihe, Frick & Kruse with Ernest Weihe and Lawrence Kruse. The firm dissolved in 1965.

    Scope and Contents Note

    The Edward Frick collection consists of his award winning "Festival Hall and Open Air Theater" drawing from the 1912 San Francisco Architectural Club competition. It also contains numerous drawings from projects completed with Arthur Brown, Jr., including detail and shop drawings of balustrades, relating to projects such as the Pasadena City Hall and San Francisco City Hall, as well as drawings of lighting fixtures, possibly from the Federal Office Building (San Francisco).

    Related Collections

    Title: Weihe, Frick & Kruse Collection
    Identifier/Call Number: (1978-3),
    Contributing Institution: Environmental Design Archives
    Title: Bakewell & Brown Collection
    Identifier/Call Number: (19XX-11),
    Contributing Institution: Environmental Design Archives