The collection consists of typescript copies of originals. It contains the 1883-84 diary
of Mellie Chase, twelve year old daughter of George Chase; the 1867 and 1868 diaries of
George Chase, and, correspondence from his mother's family, the Stickneys, of
Newburyport, Mass. The collection also contains correspondence between George's cousin
Millie and his Aunt Fanny Stickney, copies of 19th c. Alameda County land documents, an
extract from Jacob Stickney's will and a speech by George Chase to his old Civil War
Company. There is a collection of Chase family papers at the University of California,
George Chase, was Deputy Treasurer of Alameda County. He was born in Newburyport, Mass.
(1841), a son of Moses and Emily (Stickney) Chase. The Chase family subsequently settled
in Brooklyn (Clinton), Calif., now part of Oakland. The father of George Chase came to
California in 1849. There, he supported himself on West Oakland Point by hunting. He
joined in partnership with the Patten brothers and obtained land in Clinton which they
subdivided into building lots. They built the first hotel in East Oakland, called the
Clinton House. Moses Chase returned East in 1853 to visit family and in his absence the
Clinton House burned. He returned to California the same year. Son George came to
California (1854) in company with his aunt Mary and her husband, James Allen. George's
mother, Emily (Stickney) Chase, had died when George was a baby.
Collection is open for research.